The US has several opportunities for deserving students seeking their careers in less common fields or for which students are less interested. Several schools are offering different online programs for medical billing and coding. Despite tough competition, students are still assisted with different financial aids and scholarships. Some of the best schools offering huge margins financially are discussed here.
What is Medical Billing and Coding?
Medical Billing and Coding is an essential area of a healthcare system that involves different jobs related to patient data. This job involves converting health information and patient data (medical services, diagnosis, procedures, and equipment used) into a universal, alphanumeric code. It helps out to maintain the records and to facilitate both the patient and the healthcare provider.
Medical Billing and Coding professionals are behind-the-scenes specialists found in every healthcare department and industry. These professionals often work in the record section of the billing department of any healthcare institution like hospitals or clinics. They use various codes to classify and recognize various diagnoses and services. It helps the healthcare systems and insurance companies to reimburse the billing services.
Career Outlook for Medical Billing and Coding Professionals:
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of medical billing and coding professionals is expected to boost up by 9% between 2019-2029. The median salary for this occupation was estimated in May 2019 to be $39,850 while professionals working in pharmaceutical companies can earn up to $62,740.
Medical Billing and Coding Schools and their online programs:
An Associate’s degree and certification are required to work effectively in the field of Billing and Coding. Several online schools are offering specialization in this field that can be in the form of a certificate or a terminal degree. They also have am option to transfer the credits into a bachelor’s degree program.
Best Medical Billing and Coding Online Schools with Financial Aid
The US has several medical billing and coding online schools with scholarships and financial aids for deserving students. The information for accredited schools with these financial aids has been gathered by EDsmart and National Center for Education Statistics NCES. Some of the online schools and their facilities for the students are mentioned below:
Here is the List of Best Accredited Medical Billing and Coding Schools Online with Financial Aid
Herzing University offers both online, on-campus programs for medical billing and coding students. This institute is one of the best with the facility of 100% financial aid to deserving students.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 100%
- Program Details: The students can choose as little as a 12 months diploma program if they want to enter the job market right away. If the students are looking for a more rounded education, they can choose Herzing’s Associate and Bachelor’s degree program.
- Main Campus: Minneapolis, MN
- Number of Students: 515(514 undergraduate)
Keiser University offers an associate of science degree in medical administrative billing and coding. This degree helps students prepare for a career in assigning accurate medical codes to the different procedures offered by healthcare practitioners.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 69%
- Program Details: This degree consists of 60 credits and the program is considered a terminal degree and graduates receive an associate’s degree at its completion.
- Main Campus: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Number of Students: 17,830
Berkeley College offers on-campus classes in New York and New Jersey as well as Online classes. The medical billing and coding program at Berkeley is considered one of the best in the world.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 70%
- Program Details: The courses taught at this institute prepare the professionals to manage great amounts of medical insurance and billing information. After completing either the degree or the certificate, the students will have the knowledge and skills to become nationally certified.
- Main Campus: New York, NY
- Number of Students: 3,505
Bryant & Stratton College offers a billing and medical coding online program which is for detailed-oriented people who prefer to work with computers.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 82%
- Program Details: The students will learn:
Key medical terminology
How to assign standard codes using the classification system
How coding works
Rules and regulations surround the patient confidentiality
This online program offers a certification that enables medical coders to earn up to 20% more than non-certified coders.
- Main Campus: Buffalo, NY
- Number of Students:4,436
Cambridge College of Healthcare and Technology is a school that specifically is designed to help students find a place in the healthcare community through different professional courses.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 90%
- Program Details: The online medical billing and coding program of this institute is easily accessible and a great way for busy students to advance their careers. This program helps the students gain a better knowledge and understanding of the most popular medical coding formats and classifications. It offers 20 different specialty coding certifications for experienced medical coders.
- Main Campus: Delray Beach, FL
- Number of Students: 463
The best thing about DeVry University is that medical billing and coding are taught totally through online classes with new sessions starting every eight weeks.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 91%
- Program Details: DeVry’ s medical billing and coding undergraduate certificate feature AHIMA’ CCS certification exams prep. It is built according to the coursework. Students get hands-on experience in a virtual lab environment with real medical records in this program. This certificate can also be the first step in arming Associate and Bachelor’s degree credentials.
- Main Campus: Naperville, IL
- Number of Students: 12,743
Rasmussen College offers online medical billing and coding certificates that help students prepare for a healthcare career.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 72%
- Program Details: This program teaches the students key skills that help them analyze and manage patient medical records and medical billing. It also helps them navigate the electronic health record system. The graduates can move ahead into Rasmussen College’s health information technician Associate’s Degree program.
- Main Campus: St. Cloud, MN
- Number of Students: 4,106
Southern Careers Institute is one of the best schools in the state of Texas offering one of the best training, certification, and externship programs in medical billing and coding.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 71%
- Program Details: SCI’s program teaches students:
Necessary medical insurance billing codes.
Overlooked keyboarding skills required for the modern workplace.
- Main Campus: Brownsville, TX
- Number of Students: 362
Sullivan University is one of the best schools offering medical billing and coding online programs. Students of this program will be able to translate medical documentation into the proper codes and also apply these codes using proper methodologies.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 83%
- Program Details: Sullivan University offers a diploma in medical billing and coding in as little as 9 months. During their online program, students will only learn subjects they will use in their jobs.
- Main Campus: Louisville, KY
- Number of Students: 2,618
Ultimate Medical College prepares students for a successful career in the healthcare industry as the medical billing and coding program from this institution is one of the best in the country.
- Percentage of students receiving financial aid: 96%
- Program Details: Students can attend 100% of their classes online and they are taught to become intimately familiar with the medical and insurance billing process. This program helps the students to prepare for the Certified Professional Coder Exam which is necessary to pass during the job application process.
- Main Campus: Clearwater, FL
- Number of Students: 18,893