Since the energy industry is so crucial to global development, it has continued to expand. Providers and consumers of goods and services associated with energy generation are under the purview of the energy sector.
For instance, a corporation operating in the energy sector may specialize in fuel extraction, distribution, and refining. Other firms dominate in oil and gas exploration, gas and oil reserves, and energy discovery.
There are two types of resources used in the energy sector: renewable and non-renewable.
There are several chances for tech-savvy individuals in the energy industry.
There has been a recent uptick in the number of people seeking employment in the energy sector; this is especially true among those interested in reducing the sector’s negative impact on the environment by implementing initiatives like solar power and clean energy derived from renewable resources. Read on for information on 2022’s top energy employers.
What Is the Energy Sector?
The energy industry, in a nutshell, generates the electricity that powers our daily lives. Electricity, natural gas, and petroleum are all part of this category.
If you’re unfamiliar with the energy industry, you might be shocked to hear that it’s distinct from the energy sector. These two terms are often used interchangeably. However, there is a nuanced distinction between them.
In political discourse, the energy business is often categorized into renewable and non-renewable. The supply of renewable energy (from the wind, the sun, and so on) is infinite. In contrast, the supply of non-renewable energy will eventually run out.
Renewable Energy Companies
Wind, biomass, solar, geothermal, and landfill gas are just a few of the renewable energy sources that these businesses cultivate and utilize. They develop new clean energy technologies and solutions for commercial and institutional use to maximize the effectiveness of existing energy systems.
Oil and Gas
The energy sector is inextricably linked to natural gas and oil. Even though people have known about gas and oil for ages, it wasn’t until the 1800s that oil and gas extraction took off.
After being extracted, oil is burned to generate heat, which drives a turbine to generate electricity. After being extracted from the ground, natural gas is cleaned and processed before being piped to a storage facility and delivered to consumers.
The majority of the natural gas consumed in the United States is generated in the country. However, some come through the pipeline from Canada and Mexico. However, oil is a significant factor in global commerce. Saudi Aramco is the world’s largest oil producer.
Refining and Pipeline Companies
This business sector is concerned with the processing and refining crude oil into finished petroleum products like jet fuel, gasoline, and diesel.
Can I get a job in the energy field? How?
Working with energy is crucial since it provides a resource essential to people’s daily lives. You may feel entirely unprepared if it is your first professional employment. The items below outline how to get a career in the energy industry.
Complete college Degree:
Employers value candidates with Bachelor’s Degrees more highly. It signifies your dedication and willingness to make the extra effort necessary to do an excellent job for them. Degrees in environmental science, electrical engineering, energy science, and energy systems engineering apply to the energy sector.
Complete an internship:
It is a terrific way to get a feel for the employees and observe how things operate, so take advantage of it if you can. Put forth your best effort throughout your internship and learn as much as you can so that you may confidently discuss your involvement in the energy sector on your resume.
Create a winning resume and cover letter:
The purpose of the cover letter and resume is to help the potential employer learn more about you.
Fix whatever mistakes you may well have made with grammar on your resume and cover letter. Justify your inclusion on the team and highlight your experience and training in a few short paragraphs. Be sure to add your relevant work history in the energy industry here.
This will demonstrate to your potential employer that you have taken an interest in them.
Your ability to articulate why you want to work for this particular organization and why this particular position appeals to you will also impress your interviewer. As a result, you’ll have a better chance of getting hired.
Top 7 Companies for Tech in the Energy Field
These businesses offer technical positions that appeal to those interested in the energy sector and enthusiastic about technology. We’ve listed some of the most well-known American tech firms and the jobs they provide below.
The oil and gas industry is their main area of business. It ranks among the world’s major oil firms.
ExxonMobil is a household name, and as a major corporation, its reputation lends a sense of reliability and security to its business dealings. Exxon could be a good fit if you’re seeking a tech job in a well-known and secure business.
As a result of ExxonMobil’s extensive global operations, you could be offered positions in other countries.
- Managing Data Engineer / Cloud SAP Developer
- $178.6 billion in annual sales
- Software Developers, Total: 72,000 (Argentina)
- Employees: 10,000+
Qualification Requirements for ExxonMobil
- A Master’s degree in Chemistry with a minimum CGPA of 6 from an accredited university.
- Required minimum of three years in the field.
- Possessing a solid familiarity with technological equipment.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Competence in assessing the merits of several approaches to a problem and actively seeking out new ones.
- The degree to which a company is committed to seeing its product succeed in the marketplace.
- Capacity for assessing and mitigating danger
Exelon is in the business of generating and distributing electrical power. It’s the largest nuclear power plant operator in the USA. They also use solar and wind farms and fossil fuel power stations to produce electricity. Their available positions include Staff Engineer, Analyst, and Project Manager.
- Gross Profit for the Year: $33.038 Billion
- 32340, people are employed here.
- Chicago, Illinois, serves as the home base.
We offer substantial internal rewards as well. The pace and nature of the work are both exciting. If you’re interested in the energy sector and want to learn more, their employee resource groups are a great resource.
In addition to generating and supplying power, Exelon is also involved in transmission and distribution. They generate and transmit power utilizing hydroelectric, solar, wind, and fossil fuel plants. Staff members interested in learning more about the energy sector are encouraged to participate in employee resource groups.
Qualification Requirements for Exelon
- Completed high school or its equivalent is required.
- Capacity to do well in a job interview (TECH).
- Flexibility in working various shifts is a must.
- Possibility of unsupervised nuclear access.
- Superior abilities in coordinating with others, conveying information effectively, and keeping track of details.
- Having an associate’s degree or higher in an electrically related discipline is preferred.
3. Duke Energy
Duke Energy supplies energy to the Southeast and the Midwest of the United States. It has expanded from its original roots as a hydroelectric corporation.
A third of Duke Energy’s power comes from natural gas. Duke generates 35% of its electricity from nuclear power and 21% from coal. Wind and solar power are also utilized.
- Gross Profit for the Year: $23.86 Billion
- Staff Strength: 27,535
- Charlotte, North Carolina, is home to the company’s headquarters.
Opportunities in technical, control specialist, and engineering fields are available within Duke Energy’s welcoming and instructive workplace culture. The supportive culture and pleasant atmosphere at Duke Energy make for a rewarding career.
Qualification Requirements for Duke energy
- Qualification equivalent to high school graduation is required.
- The ability to use various construction equipment.
- Skills in mechanical theory and practice.
- knowledge of using PCs in a Windows setting.
- A current driver’s license is required, and you’ll need to be able to drive a vehicle that fits the fleet’s specifications.
- be able to get a CDL medical card within the first 6 months on the job.
4. Enterprise Products
Enterprise Products transport oil. In addition to natural gas fractionation and processing, pipelines, storage, crude oil, refined products, and petrochemicals are part of the company’s business portfolio. They are hiring for a systems engineer, Analyst, Technician, and data engineer positions.
- Profit for the year: $27.2 billion
- Range of Employees: 5,000 to 10,000
- Houston, Texas, is its home base.
Qualification Requirements for Enterprise products
- Equivalent to a high school diploma is required.
- Superior abilities in leading and managing projects, as well as planning and organizing activities.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal abilities.
- Proficient use of the Microsoft Office suite of products and other menu-driven tools utilized by the organization.
- Learn the ropes of financial budgeting.
- Familiarity with the relevant sections of OSHA, DOT, EPA, and other statutes dealing with pipelines and processing plants.
- The ability to work and lead successfully in a team setting is required.
- A current driver’s license is a prerequisite
5. Southern Company
Georgia, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia, and Alabama are all served by Southern Company, an electric utility company. It currently uses a variety of energy sources, including coal, natural gas, nuclear, and renewables. Opportunities include Network Engineer, Accountant, and Procurement Expert.
- yearly income: $21.4 billion
- The Staff, Over Ten Thousand peoples
- The main office is in Atlanta, Georgia
Qualification Requirements for Southern company
- Bachelor of Science from an ABET-accredited program in an approved engineering field.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering and at least four years of experience, including time spent on an engineering project or in the field.
- A cumulative engineering background of at least five years.
- Have finished projects in two different engineering areas.
Oil and natural gas are the company’s bread and butter, so it’s no surprise that ConocoPhillips is an industry leader in both fields. The company also facilitates national and international economic growth. Engineers, HR specialists, and IT specialists are just some of the professions up for grabs.
- Earnings: $19.256 Billion Per Year
- 9900 people are employed.
- Houston, Texas, is its home base.
Qualification Requirements for ConocoPhillips
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, a lawful permanent resident, a refugee, or an asylee with no current or anticipated need for sponsorship in order to work in the U.S.
- Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, or a related field and at least a Bachelor’s degree, or its international equivalent.
- Preferably, you’re available and interested in working in either Houston, Kenedy, Midland, Dickinson, Watford City, or Anchorage, Texas.
7. American Electric Power
“American Electric Power” is synonymous with “electric utility.” The business generates electricity primarily using coal-fired power stations.
In addition to hydro, wind, pumped storage, and natural gas plants, they operate these as well. Some examples of open positions include Energy Sales Representative, Technician, and Engineer.
The American Electric Power Company is a coal-fired power plant operator. Among the many methods, they use to generate electricity is the utilization of natural gas, nuclear power, hydropower, wind power, pumped storage, and so on.
- yearly income of $14.9 billion
- To date, they have hired 16,787 people.
- Ohio’s capital city of Columbus is the site of the company’s headquarters.
Qualification Requirements for American Electric Power
- Employment at the novice level. People that want to succeed and are not afraid to show it.
- You’ll need a clean driving record in addition to a valid driver’s license.
- You’ll need your own trustworthy transportation to go to and from work each day.
- All drivers in the state of Ohio are required to carry liability insurance that meets the state’s minimum standards.
- expertise working with customers in a retail, service, or sales environment.
- Three months of experience as a leader in a club or other group.
- Training and/or service in the armed forces is required.
You might want to see this:
What are the benefits of working for an energy company?
The energy industry is flourishing and developing. One benefit of working with such organizations is the constant availability of new openings.
There are beautiful parks at the companies above. You’ll also learn a lot from people with experience in the sector. Also, you may lead the way in the movement toward cleaner energy sources, less pollution, and reduced carbon footprints.
What are the five largest energy companies?
The top five energy firms are ExxonMobil, American Electric Power, ConocoPhillips, Duke Energy, and Southern Company.
What are the best-paying jobs in the energy industry?
Jobs in engineering, such as environmental, civil, or air quality, tend to pay the most in the energy sector. In 2021, environmental engineers made a median annual pay of $96,820, as reported by the BLS.
That same year, a civil engineer’s average salary was $88,050. If you want to work in one of these fields, you’ll need at least a bachelor’s degree in engineering.
Is there a significant demand for energy engineers?
Yes! The need for energy engineers is predicted to increase faster over the next decade due to attempts to diversify energy sources.
Energy engineers come up with new methods of generating and utilizing energy. Engineers in this field work to lessen the toll of energy generation on the environment by developing sustainable systems.
Texas, Massachusetts, Florida, Illinois, and California are all excellent places to look for work in the wind energy industry.
Employment opportunities exist everywhere, but these states offer the best prospects.
Will you work in the energy field?
If you’re good at organizing projects and working with others, you should look into a career in the energy sector. If you want a job in the energy industry, you need to know your stuff.
Suppose you’re passionate about improving energy efficiency or developing new renewable power sources. In that case, you should put your energy where it will do the most good.