Unable to attend classes at college due to certain commitments and responsibilities, therefore in Texas certain colleges offer these programs online in Texas and out of Texas students, here are a few of the top accredited online medical billing and coding schools in Texas that might help you to excel in your career in this field.
Here is The List of Top Accredited Online Medical Billing and Coding Schools in Texas
Texas State Technical College
Complete your Health Information Technology degree entirely online. You will explore the interplay of health information and technology in this program. You’ll get virtual instruction and hands-on experience managing crucial and confidential health-related data.
The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education is Texas State Technical College’s Health Information Technology accreditor (CAHIIM). The Associate’s degree in Health Information Technology at the College has been renewed till 2027.
- AAS degree: 20 months program
- HITC: 12 months program
- To assist with your admission and registration, please complete each of the following steps in
- Check off each step as it is completed.
- Go to tstc.edu/apply and submit a TSTC admissions application.
- Apply for financial aid by completing an application at fafsa.ed.gov
- Contact previous colleges and high school, having them forward TSTC all official transcripts. Official transcripts must be sealed and from the Admissions Office of all previous colleges and high school.
- Take the TSI.
- If student is under the age of 22, he/she is required to submit proof of bacterial meningitis vaccination.
- Speak with an Enrollment Coach for advisement.
- Contact Sarah Brooks, Program Director, to be assigned program advisor to assist with registration process
- Submit required documentation to Program Advisor (see list below)
- Schedule interview with Program Advisor
- After the interview, the Program Advisor will supply the student with a “Projected Schedule” and register the student.
- Set up pay
- AAS degree: $12,708
- HITC: $7,704
Lamar Institute of Technology
The Medical Coding Specialist Certificate program at the Institute prepares you to work in doctor’s offices, outpatient clinics, emergency rooms, day surgery centers, and in an outpatient environment inside hospitals. Graduates decode the explanation of benefits and process claims, coding diagnoses and procedures for healthcare services supplied to patients.
The AAS degree is an 18 month program, the HICC is completed in 14 months, while the HITC is an 11 program. Students may complete the programs online and should have excellent computer skills and be disciplined to complete coursework.
Students are accepted into the program in the fall and spring of each year.
- AAS degree: 18 month program
- HITC: 14 month program
- Individuals that plan to apply to the LIT Health Information Technology Program must apply and be accepted to Lamar Institute of Technology.
- Complete the “Health Information Technology Program (HIT) Application for Admissions”. Applicants will need to select which of the HIT programs they are submitting the application for; whether it is the AAS degree, a certificate or all three of the majors.
- Complete a Criminal Background screening.
- Must meet all requirements of Texas Success Initiative (TSI). (COMPASS, ACCUPLACER, ASSET).
- Applicants must deliver official transcripts from all previous college(s) and/or technical school(s) to the Program Director of Health Information Technology. Transcripts must demonstrate a minimum of a 2.5 GPA on all college work, including transfer, academic and technical courses for consideration of acceptance into the Health Information Technology Program.
- Non Texas Resident: $10,510
- Texas Resident: $2,350
Lone Star College – North Harris
The HIT associate-level program at the North Harris campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Program accreditation allows graduates to apply for certification examinations to become Registered Health Information Technicians (RHIT).
The HITT program is approved for online learning. Although online coursework is offered, students that live outside the Houston area often have a challenging time completing the clinical, practicum, and cooperative education courses. While courses are offered online, exams must be proctored. Students may complete their exams at any of the testing centers within the LSC system.
- 4 semester
- Total Credit Hours: 60
- Two year program
Level – 2
Total Credit Hours: 36
In order to be considered for admission to the HIT or Coding Certificate program, students must meet the Texas State Initiative requirements. Students must take the TSI Assessment unless you are exempt. Please visit LoneStar.edu/placement-testing-info.htm#exempt for more information. In order to be part of the program, students must be at college-level placement in reading, writing, and math.
- Complete Pre-Assessment Activity and Placement Testing
- Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination
- Submit Transcripts
- New Student Orientation
- CHSRMA Completion
- Non Texas Resident: $5,140
- Texas Resident: $4,040
Saint Philip’s College
City: San Antonio
St. Philip’s College, founded in 1898, is a comprehensive public community college whose mission is to empower our diverse student population through educational achievement and career readiness. As a Historically Black College and Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s College is a vital facet of the community, responding to the needs of a population rich in ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic diversity.
The Health Information Technology program at St. Philip’s College offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology.
The AAS in Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) (www.cahiim.org).
The entire curricula are taught online with the exception of the last semester Clinical course (placement at a San Antonio or surrounding area facility during daytime business hours is required). Online courses are rigorous and reading-intensive, as is the profession.
- AAS Degree 72 weeks.
Approximately 2 of those weeks are not completed online.
All students must also meet and/or complete the following HIT program requirements:
- At least 12th-grade reading, writing, and math
- HITT 1305 Medical Terminology I(with a grade of C or higher)
- BIOL 2404 Human Anatomy and Physiology(with a grade of C or higher) (or BIOL 2401 and 2402)
- MATH 1314 College Algebra or MATH 1332 Contemporary Mathematics
- Overall GPA 2.5
- Non Texas Resident: $20,140
- Texas Resident: $7,170
Tyler Junior College
The HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT/HEALTH INFORMATICS accreditor of TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for ASSOCIATE degree in HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY has been reaffirmed through 2028-2029.
Every course in the degree plan can be taken online except BIOL 2401 and BIOL 2402 labs. The clinical courses HITT 2160 and HITT 2261 are online but require clinical hours at a facility.
Department-specific courses must be taken in sequence and may have a prerequisite course. All required courses of the HIT program must be completed with a grade of “C” or better in order to progress to the next level course.
- AAS Degree: 60 credit hours 4 Semester
- Medical Coding (Certificate): 36 credit hours
- Non Texas Resident: $20,140
- Texas Resident: $30,194
Wharton County Junior College
The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education is Wharton County Junior College’s Health Information Management accreditor (CAHIIM). The Associate degree in Health Information Management at the College has been renewed for the years 2029-2030.
- AAS Degree: 60 semester credit hours (TSI readiness required)
- Level I Certificate: 18 semester credit hours
- Level II Certificate: 30 semester credit hours (TSI readiness required)
- Complete an application.
- Complete testing requirements.
- Submit a current Bacterial Meningitis record.
- Spring 2022 Applicants – APPLY HERE
- Summer/Fall 2022 Applicants – APPLY HERE
- Non Texas Resident: $12,190
- Texas Resident: $9,130
- Non Texas Resident: $3,728
- Texas Resident: $2,810
- Non Texas Resident: $5,955
- Texas Resident: $4,425