New York University (NYU) is one of the best universities in America with a wide range of degree programs in multiple disciplines. New York University was founded in 1831 by the residents of New York State. It was originally named the “University of the City of New York”. This institute was envisioned to initiate and achieve something new and advanced. It was an academic institution, democratic in spirits, and metropolitan in character. This institution offers a wide range of educational degrees and programs for students in the USA and from all over the world. One of the several degree programs taught at NYU is Master in Speech Pathology.
What is an NYU Speech Pathology Master program?
NYU speech pathology master is a degree that prepares you for being eligible to get licensure as a speech-language pathologist. This degree enables you to learn assessment, prevention, and intervention of the community of people with speech, language, communication, and/or swallowing disorders. It also offers an opportunity to learn integration research principles into evidence-based clinical research in Communicative Sciences. A registered speech pathologist will be able to work in clinical setups treating patients with speech or communication disorders.
NYU Speech Pathology Master On-campus Program:
This master level (Graduation) program of speech pathology involves on-campus or physical classes at the NYU campus. It consists of six to seven semesters depending upon the number of foundation courses you choose to complete before beginning graduate-level courses.
Accreditation of the program:
Master in Speech Pathology is a degree program of science in Communicative Sciences and Disorders. It is accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA). Both these programs are also accredited by the New York Office of the Professions and the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC).
Career opportunities for NYU Speech Pathologist:
NYU Speech pathologists can find several jobs and career opportunities in many clinical and non-clinical setups such as:
- Early intervention settings.
- Hospitals and medical centers.
- Rehabilitation centers.
- Long-term care centers.
- Skilled nursing facilities.
- Academic settings, including private and public schools and universities.
- Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) technology companies.
- Specialized treatment centers for children with autism, language impairment, and developmental disabilities.
Attributes required for NYU Speech Pathology Master degree:
For the knowledge and skills to practice speech-language pathology the individual must have the following attributes:
- Motor function
- Intellectual-cognitive approach
- Sensory-observational approach
- Behavioral and social understanding
Skills learned from NYU Speech Pathology Master degree:
After graduation, you’ll be awarded professional licensure for a speech-language pathologist. And you’ll learn the following skills:
- Integration of research principles in evidence-based clinical practice
- Prerequisite skills in oral and written communication that will help in clinical setups
- Understanding principles of biological sciences, physical sciences, mathematics, and social and behavioral science
- Basic human communication and swallowing processes, including their biological, acoustic, psychological, neurological, developmental, linguistic, and cultural bases
- The nature of speech, language, hearing, and communication disorders and differences and swallowing disorders
- Principles and methods of assessment, prevention, and intervention for people with communication and swallowing disorders. These include consideration of anatomical/physiological, developmental, and linguistic, and cultural correlates of the disorders
This program enables you to become a well-practiced and professional speech-language pathologist to treat a variety of communication and speech disorders. This program consists of 48 credits.
- Two on-campus externships in hospitals, clinics, or schools.
- One semester of on-site clinic learning.
- Lab-based work will be taught at some of the best lab setups at NYU.
- Involvement in active research programs.
- An opportunity to learn from research topics like swallowing, stuttering, and acoustic biofeedback intervention.
- A comprehensive course consisting of all the related subjects and topics.
- A professional degree accredited by ASHA and CAA.
- Accredited by the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC).
o Nyu Speech Pathology Masters Online
NYU offers an online program of Masters in Speech-language pathology which is named NYU Steinhardt.
As a student, you will learn methods of prevention, assessment, and intervention, and research principles for working with people who have speech, language, and swallowing disorders.
New York University provides you an opportunity to accomplish your degree of Master in Speech-language pathology through an online program. This program is offered by the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders (CSD) at NYU Steinhardt.
In this online speech-pathology program for speech pathology, you will learn the methods of assessments, prevention, intervention, and research principles for working with a community where people have speech, language, or swallowing disorders.
Official Title: Master of Science in Communicative Sciences and Disorders.
- Professional licensure or certification
- Full time or part-time
Start Date: Fall
Application Deadlines: 27 April
Priority: June 7
Start Date: January
Application deadlines: September 7
Priority: October 14
On-campus Acceptance rate:
In 2020, NYU’s acceptance rate for on-campus classes was recorded to be 23% which shows the high selectivity of the candidates. This low acceptance rate for NYU speech pathology Masters online program shows the tough competition between the candidates.
o Nyu Speech Pathology Masters Tuition
The approximate costs for the MS program in Communicative Science and Disorders of NYU are $93,216 for 48 graduate-level credits.
Further expenditures include:
- Cost per credit: $1,942.
- Registration/service fee for first credit/term: $528.
- Registration/service fee for additional credits/term: $73.
o Nyu Speech Pathology Masters Online Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate for the online course:
In 2021, NYU’s acceptance rate for online classes recorded at 12% which shows that admission at NYU’s online program is highly selective. This low acceptance rate for NYU speech pathology Masters online program shows the tough competition between the candidates. So you must have a good previous academic record.